Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Privacy in New Media

When it comes to certain aspects of New Media, for example social networking, the user really does not have much privacy. Take facebook, people can see what your doing, what day and time your doing it, who your friends with, who you share stories with (for instance on your facebook wall page), where you go (pictures), who your family and friends are, and if you add a status, what your doing at that exact moment. There really is not much privacy. Granted, you can choose to have privacy or not, by changing your privacy settings, or not accepting someone as a friend, or even by simply not updating your status every 10 minutes. However, once you are friends with a person on facebook, you really can see very far into their private life, and privacy is no longer private.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, that's why I put privacy settings on my social networks and friend those I actually know. I sometimes get friend requests from people I never met.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree so much so that I don't have a facebook page. It's absolutely insane as to how much privacy you give up being on these sites. And yes, with the site alone you potentially aren't giving up too much information, but with the help of the internet, little bits of information like the ones listed in your post can be puzzled together to get a pretty good look at who you are, what you do, where you go..ect And in the wrong hands, that's awfully risky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true - to be on Facebook meens give up to much privacy, however:
    1- It is you who decide about joining social networking site
    2- You can change your settings regarding privacy issues

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one of the many reasons why I don't have facebook. I don't like the thought of people knowing everything that I do in life.

    ReplyDelete